Making PPSRs a headache-free zone ￼
The Personal Property Securities Register (PPSR) became operational in New Zealand (NZ) in May 2002 and in Australia (AU) in January 2012, both registries have been evolving since.
The PPSR is a national online register of security interests in personal property – essentially, it is property other than land, buildings and fixtures to land, including:
- motor vehicles
- intellectual property (such as copyright, patents and designs), bank accounts and debts (sometimes known as receivables)
- shares and other financial property
- and private commercial licences
It does not apply to direct water rights or most government-issued licenses or rights. However, it’s crucial to understand how the PPSR works and how you can use it to protect your business interests.
What is the PPSR?
The Personal Property Securities Register, most commonly known as the PPSR, is an official government register. It is a public noticeboard of security interests in personal property that is managed by The New Zealand Companies Office (for NZ PPSRs) and The Australian Financial Security Authority (for AU PPSRs).
If you’re a 1Centre customer and you trade across NZ & AU requiring PPSRs across both countries, this can be very easily set up, managed and maintained on your 1Centre account. Including an aggregated view of all PPSRs across your business in both countries!
Why register on the PPSR?
If you’re a supplier of goods or services, registering an interest in your property lets others know when you’ve retained an interest and your priority. For suppliers to small businesses, in the case of insolvencies, it helps you get your goods back and gives you priority.
If you don’t register on the PPSR and your customer goes insolvent, (or can’t pay their debts), before they have fully paid you, the property will be lost and the insolvency practitioner may sell your goods for the benefit of all creditors.
If you don’t register, anyone else who has registered a security interest on the PPSR could be ahead of you in the queue to get their goods or money back if your customer goes insolvent. This is because you will likely be an unsecured creditor, and generally secured creditors are paid first.
It also means the insolvency practitioner can find you. The insolvency practitioner will search the PPSR to find the secured creditors. If you’ve registered a security interest on the PPSR, the insolvency practitioner will be able to include you on the priority list for repayment.
Registering a security interest on the PPSR
Below is a snippet of some key things to remember when setting up your account and registering a PPSR in both NZ & AU.
- Keep secured records of your PPSR passwords, financing statement registration numbers and PINs.
- Keep your registered financing statements up to date.
- Comply with the debtor name rules when entering details on a financing statement. If you’re unsure about these, refer to your government websites for further information.
- Supply debtors with a copy of the verification statement within 15 working days unless the debtor waives, in writing, the right to receive one.
- Ensure your financing statement is supported by an appropriate security agreement. This is the agreement that grants the security interest. In most cases, it will be a written agreement signed by your customer – for example, a trade credit agreement.
If you’re a 1Centre customer, we’ve got you covered. Any PPSR registered in NZ or AU will sit on your customer’s 1Centre Virtual Credit File. The credit file has a completed and signed copy of the agreement, along with a draft copy of the PPSR for easy reference which is housed in the PPSR tab – this also comes with all the maintenance functionality you’ll require. And don’t forget the original of the PPSR financing statement registration will be sent to your nominated email address.
What is a PPS Search?
A PPS Search is a search of the PPS Register (PPSR) for “security interests” against a business entity or individual. For example, when deciding whether to offer, or extend, commercial credit to a customer, a search of the register can reveal necessary information about the customer’s existing obligations. If you’re a business conducting credit checks, you’ll generally also find this information on the credit report.
How 1Centre makes managing PPSRs MUCH easier!
For our customers, it’s a no-brainer.
Here are 5 key benefits related to PPSR’s specifically:
- Regardless of your business structure and complexity – 1Centre aggregates everything. So no more managing multiple accounts;
- If you’re a business that trades across AU & NZ, and even if you have multiple legal entities – don’t worry; we’ve got you covered. An aggregated view within your very own PPSR pipeline with advanced search functionality is one click away;
- Your registration is attached to your customer’s credit file for easy access to all the information you need to know come renewal/management time;
- Do you manage multiple SPGs across your business … well, not anymore! Yup, you guessed it – all aggregated into one beautiful pipeline view;
- We’re also cost-effective – our integration direct to the source helps us to offer you super competitive pricing.
Reach out today!
We’d love to show you how we can support you not only in onboarding your customer seamlessly but also in registering a security interest at the click of a button – literally.